Day 2 and Intro –
“It’s safer and easier to handle the negative self-talk than it is to challenge it, even though it intensifies feelings of fear, insecurity, and low self-esteem.” Change is uncomfortable, especially when it comes to our attitudes and behaviors. But with practice and action, I believe we can overcome the discomfort, or at least most of it, and allow ourselves to become familiar with our possibilities and positive outlook.
“Resistance is a normal part of change.” Dr. Susan Jeffers states five basic truths about fear, in her book Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway (scares me just to hear the title):
- Fear will never go away as long as you continue to grow.
- The only way to get rid of your fear of doing something is to go out and do it.
- The only way to feel better about yourself is to go out and do it (don’t wait to feel better and then do something).
- Not only are you going to experience fear every time you are in unfamiliar territory, so will everyone else.
- Pushing through fear is less frightening than living with the bigger, underlying fear that comes from a feeling of helplessness.
Ok, so here’s what we gotta do:
Accept yourself exactly as you are right now.
Stop beating yourself up for sabotaging yourself.
Start believing you do deserve good things. You do. And I do, too.
Stop thinking you are no good. All of us, every single person on this earth, has some good in them. It is their choice to be good and do good, or vice versa.
Congratulate yourself on wanting to do something to rid yourself of self-sabotage. You may have purchased this book. That’s a huge step. If you are reading this post because you want to stop self-sabotage, that’s another step.
Put the self-critic away so that you can have an open and receptive mind to the ideas and concepts that follow.
From this moment on, we will not criticize ourselves. We will forgive ourselves for past mistakes, as we cannot undo the past, but we can certainly change the present and our future, starting now.
Quitting is the only way to fail. As long as you never give up, never give in, on what you want for your life, you will always be a success.
All it takes to be a success is your effort.
More in a few minutes…