Ok, I have a few ideas. Let me know what sounds good to you or if you have a different idea.
1) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families, by Stephen R. Covey – very inspiring (completed in roughly 40 days)
2) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen R. Covey – inspiring (completed between 30 and 40 days)
3) The Illustrated Discovery Journal – Creating a Visual Autobiography of Your Authentic Self, by Sarah Ban Breathnach – fun, fun, fun! and very inspiring, but more than reading, this is a hands-on, crafty book that you sort of design, as well as write in.
The book was originally written for women, but as I have some men friends reading this, I believe I can help the man change the book to reflect his innermost feelings and thoughts and self-creation autobiography crafty-book. The blog would help men and women find themselves. Yes, I know more of the emotions and expression of feelings is more of a woman thing, but I don’t think it has to be, nor do I think it should be.
I think the biggest miscommunication between men and women is the fact that men are not taught to express their feelings, so they don’t know how, even if they want to. If you want to connect with the opposite sex, you need to bridge the gap separating men from women, so I not only think this book will help men and women in connecting with their own true self, I think it can possibly help men connect with women on a deeper level, as it will not only help them understand women better, but themselves, as well. What do you think?
Tools you’ll need besides the book:
- a stack of magazines and mail-order catalogs from which you’ll cut images of anything that pleases you — from clothing, home furnishings, and travel adventures to children’s faces, gorgeous landscapes, and wacky ads;
- a pair of small sharp scissors;
- glue sticks;
- rubber stamps;
- and colored pencils (the watercolor ones are wonderful because, after you draw, you can go over your work with water on a paintbrush and–voilà!–you’re a painter).
This book should take probably a week per chapter and there are 9 chapters, so 45 to 63 days? Let me know your thoughts on this, men and women. This should be something we take our time with and I’ll share pictures of mine, and invite you to share pictures of yours. 😉
4) The Road Less Traveled – A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth, by M. Scott Peck, M.D. – sounds inspiring. I’ve read the first part of the first chapter, and so far, each of these books inspire me. This one should take about 30 days.
5) Change Your Life Now – Get Out of Your Head, Get Into Your Life, by Gary Null, Ph.D., with Howard Null – seems pretty inspiring, as well. Probably completed in about 20 to 25 days.